Saturday, March 22, 2014

One down.......three more to go

This is what I'm up against. The slab shown below is way off. That's the result of my sucky chainsaw cutting skills. The scribe line shows where the slab needs to be in order for it to work for the tabletop. The challenge is trying to get it down to a manageable thickness using available tools (did I mention, I sure could use a sawmill right about now).


Well, guess I better get started. First step is getting rid of stock down to the approximate scribe line using the angle grinder chainsaw wheel attachment. Man, my wrists and forearms are taking a real beating on this!


It's really a slow go all things being said. It's also generating an awful lot of sawdust in the shop. That much stock removal leaves enough sawdust for someone with horses to use it for bedding in their horse stalls!


Step by step. Take it down to the scribe line every 6 inches, or so, before moving on and doing it all over again.



The last mountain to climb! Whew! Glad this is almost over!


Now THIS is manageable for the router planer.



Instead of using the 15' rails for planing this one, I decided it might be easier and less strain on the back if I were to set up the smaller planer using a door to slide the slab back and forth under the sled. We'll see.


Checking level. Yep - good to go!


This is much better than the long rails. So much easier to slide the sled!



After I don't know how many passes, it looks like it's getting down to where I want it to be.


Oops! A little thinner than I anticipated, but still very workable and functional at 2 3/8" thick.


Now all I need to do is run the circular saw on the edges followed up by a pass or two with the router on the edges, and this one should be ready for jointing to another slab.


Gotta say, this took a long time to do. Who knew the Laguna 22" bandsaw I had awhile back would be so missed! The sawmill jig I had set up for it would have made very short work of these slabs. Oh, well......

 The other slabs no doubt will take just as long for each one. That's the reality when using what's available. And that's just one more reason why handcrafted functional art such as this piece will ultimately become a treasure for someone.

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment