Thursday, December 24, 2020

Decisions....Decisions....Decisions

There are times I just want to slap myself up alongside my head and quit being so indecisive about some of this stuff.

The slab discussed in the previous post is just under 60 inches long. The question that bugs me is how many bowls can I get from it?


If it's 60 inches long, that means I can make four bowls that are 15 inches long. Or I can make three bowls that are 20 inches long. 

Too anal? Yup.....

I needed to think outside my own restrictive 'box', and just ask ask Katherine what she thinks.

Thank goodness I did.

Her idea was to make one bowl 24 inches long. That leaves a slab 36 inches long. If that slab is divided by two, VOILA....there will be two more bowls that are each 18 inches long.

Or so I thought.

Not to worry, though. The chainsaw kerf will shorten the bowl slabs just a tad, so each of the bowls will be slightly less than the measurements cited above.


But the end result will still be pretty much the same.

Next step is to mark the slab:


That wasn't too difficult....especially since the measurements don't require perfection.

Next step involved setting the slab up so the chainsaw blade wouldn't go into the snow. Luckily, I made a simple sawbuck a loooooong time ago that works perfectly for stuff like this:


And the final step was to actually make two cuts to get a total of three bowl blanks/slabs:


Now comes the fun part....carving and shaping. That's gonna have to wait awhile until it warms up a bit, hopefully later this afternoon.

Only time will tell, but I think these bowls are going to turn out really nice.

DWR

No comments:

Post a Comment