Friday, September 21, 2012

Handy dandy "little log" slabbing jig

Thought I'd share this for anyone out there having trouble figuring out how to slab smaller logs. This little jig works great for me. This time the log was heavy enough and stable enough just positioning it right that I didn't have to secure it any more with screws into the ends. Bracing and chucking were enough.

The log is walnut somewhere between 2' and 2 1/2' long, and I'm thinking eventually it might become a bowl.


 Using my 20" bar on the chainsaw meant I'd need to go down through the log from one side, and finish the cut from the other side.




On this log, I decided to lop off a "top" and a "bottom" in order to perhaps make a bowl out of it later.




And, after I was done with the walnut log, I still had enough poop and vinegar left to slab a smallish cottonwood log I had in the shop, too. Not sure what these will eventually become. Ideas, anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment