Saturday, September 15, 2012

Tryin' me hand at makin' a bowl

Well, I've threatened over and over again to try this. Guess it's time to follow through on the threat.

Got some walnut "firewood" from a friend awhile back (some of you may remember this from an earlier post), and thought I'd try to ruin at least one half of the round as practice before ruining the other one, too.



Anyhoo, after slicing the round in half and cutting off the top/bottom (whichever way you want to look at it) with the chainsaw, this is what one of them looked like:


I made the slant on purpose in order to try and give a little variation in the carving.

The next step was to make the bottom very flat. This is where my handy dandy router planer came in a little more than handy.


The finished product is what you see here:


Setup and actual grinding in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment