Monday, November 5, 2012

More BOWLS!

Decided to try my hand at carving some bowls using juniper. Results so far are very good. I'm trying really hard to emulate Scott Shangraw's bowls, but he's way more advanced than me. If I can get to be half as good at carving, shaping, sculpting, and finishing as he is, I'll be happy.



The bowl above has two coats of Watco Danish Oil "Natural" on the outside. The inside will be left "raw" so the aroma of the juniper can be enjoyed by all.



Plan to do a lot more carving on the last one. Also need to fill the voids, probably with turquoise and epoxy, but not 100% on that one.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm using a Lancelot chainsaw attachment for an angle grinder mostly, and switching to flap sanding wheels for the grinder after most of the hogging is done. The flap sanding wheels go from rough grit to smoother grit in steps. The final sanding is by hand - lots of work for sure, but well worth the effort in the end. Hope that helps, and sorry again for the delay in answering.

      Delete